There is a white paper available from VMware. You can download the complete file here.
Derek Seaman's Blog you can find a few sessions regarding vCenter Performance, e.g.:On
Teaser: 5.5 to 6.0 is 300% faster for vCenter operations From 6.0 to 6.5(?) is another 100% higher.
HTML5 vs. Flex client: Shows a chart with dramatically faster HtML5 performance over Flash client.
VCSA vs. windows – When you have a datacenter with heavy load the VCSA far out performs Windows vCenter.
A short overview from OpManagers VMware Monitoring:
Best-in-class VMware monitoring using over 70 VMware performance monitors
OpManager’s VMware Monitor provides indepth, agentless monitoring of VMware-virtualized servers to give IT administrators a single fault and performance management console for entire server infrastructure - both physical and virtual. In addition to SNMP and WMI-based monitoring, OpManager leverages VMware APIs to help you:
- Start monitoring VMware servers right away (needs no configuration)
- Be alerted when resource utilization crosses critical thresholds
- Know which ESX servers are running low on resources
- Quickly identify resource hungry VMs and take corrective action
- Get over 70 built-in reports on VMware infrastructure performance
You can find the complete article here.
The new Way
If you're looking for a very modern way to check and monitor performance, you should give Performance Analyzer a try.
Monitor and Analyze VMware vCenter Server Appliance (VMware vCSA) performance metrics. Check your key metrics of your vCSA overall system state as well as the internal database. Troubleshoot issues using our efficient data crawler and preconfigured dashboards.
Some of our VMware vCenter Server Appliance integration features are:
- Easy highlighting view to detect issues immediately
- Check Overall vCSA system load
- Get information about database free space
- I/O operations in real time